Saturday, January 11, 2014

Cunning Socks


      I am super thrilled! I finished my first ever knit project (not the first picked up, just the first finished. ;P), a pair of socks with the colour scheme from Jayne's hat. They took longer than I'd like to admit! The first sock(s) took about two weeks, I ended up pulling out all the stitches of the first one and starting over with a much better sock. Luckily, the second sock didn't even take two days. Hurray!



   They are certainly far from perfect, and you can see where I tied the previously cut (from before I ripped out the stitches) yarn on the first sock a bit, the second sock looks a lot better! Regardless, I love them so much and they are so toasty compared to all my other socks, none of which are knit.




   The pattern for these bad boys are from Knits for Nerds, mine are a size small and are a wee bit big on my feet (size 6, for anyone else cursed with ridiculously small feet), but not so much as to bother me, they are still very wearable! Just maybe not with the tightest of combat boots. ;P

   Has anyone else reading this knit this pattern? I'd love to hear your thoughts! I know I love mine and I've never been more proud of a pair of socks in my life, haha. :) Enjoy!


9 comments:

  1. Congrats! I remember knitting my first pair of socks. I've knit several pairs and have enjoyed making them all. Hand-knit socks are the best!!! I usually knit mine 2-at-a-time on a 40" circular needle. It's nice to have both socks done at the same time. I haven't seen Knits For Nerds yet, but it looks like a fun book of patterns! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation! I still remember my first pair of socks, too. I was so fed up after nr.1 was finished that I didn't start on nr.2 until several years later. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. They are lovely. I don't knit, but I do crochet. I have never taken on socks, though. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Right now I'm trying to knit the same pair of socks from the same book. Right now I just finished the body of the socks and am trying to start the heel. I'm a little confused at the part that says "Turn and p22 onto a single needle. I'm not quite sure what it means by the "turn" part. The pattern keeps ending up backwards, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If you could either reply or email me, I'd be so grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I have been terrible about returning comments apparently, haha. I have been so caught up in too much. :)

    Thank you very much, I love having some handknit socks now, I plan on making my second pair of socks soon. I am not familiar with knitting on a 40" needle yet. D:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the second pair more than the first, myself, because I had a better sense of what I was doing and it worked up faster and looked better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I do a little of both and have plenty of learning to do with each. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm no expert, I'm pretty new at knitting myself, but I think the best way to describe it is that when you turn, if you are on the right side of the pattern, you will be knitting from the wrong side.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and love to hear what my readers think!

Disqus for F. K. Sew